Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

is RUTH Disco ??

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 85 08:13:31 edt
Subject: is RUTH Disco ??

I've been listening to RUTH a lot lately, mainly since everyone is playing it.
I've been listening to the synth drum track, and has a beat that I was
familiar with, but wasn't sure where I heard it before. Then I noticed it
sounded awfully similiar to Troublefunk and a lot of there songs. In case
you dont know, Troublefunk is a Washington go-go band who really cranks
(their best was when they used to play with Minor Threat wow !!!).

I dont think RUTH has the disco beat as much as it has that constant
synth drum bumping away in the background.  I think If kate listen to some
go-go music (mainly troublefunk) she would enjoy it. however I never
see where she says she is influenced by an american artist. Most artist
she likes (Killing Joke, etc) are English in nature, Maybe I'm wrong.

The Morale is: Buy a troublefunk album, listen to it, and then listen to
RUTH. their beats are very identical.

tim