Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Oldfield censorship; strange antenna on KB CD

From: harvard!jerpc.PE!topaz!jer (Eric Roskos @ Home)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 85 23:12:45 edt
Subject: Oldfield censorship; strange antenna on KB CD

Hello... I hope you won't mind if I discuss/ask a question about
someone besides Kate Bush, but today when I was out buying my
"Hounds of Love" CD and so-called marbelized (actually pink)
record, I also bought another CD, which has annoyed me when I
listened to it just now.

Specifically, this is the Mike Oldfield _Tubular_Bells_ CD.
What annoys me about it is the same thing that annoys me about
my personal copy of the record, viz., some record-company
executive has decided to censor-off part of the recording.

In the original copies of Tubular Bells, at the end of side 2
(the side where the Piltdown Man sings), after the Sailor's
Hornpipe, there are some very strange sounds.  They sound a
little like someone trying to fly a model airplane (gasoline
powered kind) inside the studio; it flies around, runs into
things, etc.

However, this was deleted off the re-release of the record.
Now, it's usually been the case that when a CD comes out, they
put back on things that wouldn't fit on the record, etc; but
here they didn't.  This annoys me.

Does anybody know what the sounds actually were, and have any
historical-type information on why they were there, and why they
were taken off?

-----

Now, for my second topic of discussion.  I was just looking at
my Kate Bush HoL CD which I bought today at Peaches Records, and
have noticed this strange little antenna on it.  It appears to
be an anti-theft device: there is a sort of folded dipole
antenna, with a small black crystal or IC between the two
antenna elements.  The crystal is either directly or
capacitively coupled to the antenna.  I think it may be
capacitively coupled, because in order to deactivate this
device, it appears that the cashier used some kind of pointed
device to make a dent in one side of the device where one side
of the antenna connects to the crystal or IC.  If it is
capacitively coupled, then it is fairly clever, since the
capacitor is made out of plain adhesive that is used to glue the
parts together.  As far as I can tell, the pointed device must
short the two plates of the capacitor together.

Does anybody know how these devices work?

PS - I still haven't found that "KT" logo... still looking,
though.  It's not in the white-colored part of her hair, is it?