Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KB on Canadian music channel

From: Henry Chai <chai%utflis%toronto.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 85 05:46:15 edt
Subject: KB on Canadian music channel

The equivalent of MTV in Canada is called MuchMusic and is available only
on cable.  Every day they do a spot light on an artist, and they've done KB
at least twice already, but since I don't have cable I missed every
single show.  Sigh.

The other day I was shopping in Eaton's, one of the largest department
chain stores across Canada.  Suddenly I heard familiar but strange sounds
(if that is not a contradiction in terms!) and I quickly hunt for the source...
Aha! it's coming from one of the numerous (~15) TV sets they place
around the fashion departments, all of which are showing MuchMusic.
And what could be playing but "The Dreaming"!  I've only seen this video
once before so I just stood there entranced.  After it finished, I was
starting to turn away, but decided to see what was coming  up next.
Hmm, a woman's hand reaching out to a man's hand....  WHAT??!! IT CAN'T BE...
YES IT IS!! it's RUNNING UP THAT HILL!!  I've only seen bits of it in the
"New Music" interview, and this time I got to see it from beginning
to end.  The first half was mainly `modern ballet' between Kate and
the male dancer, but I like the latter half better, where Kate starts to
run away and is grabbed by the man, and especially the ending, where
the crowd wore paper mask of the male dancer's face, then wore masks of Kate's
face, and finally Kate `sinking' into the sea of people.

So, fellow loyal `Lionhearts', be content that the original (?) version of
RUtH has been shown to the naive public, though they may not recognize ART
even if they see it!