Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Two Faces of Melody Maker

From: harvard!topaz!harvard!mit-eddie!harvard!topaz!harvard!mit-eddie!harvard!topaz!petsd!peora!jer
Date: Wednesday, 28 Aug 1985 07:55 EDT
Subject: Re: The Two Faces of Melody Maker

> I think I'm going to check up on Breugal in the library sometime.  I
> haven't seen any Hieronymous Bosch (that I remember), so I'm not sure
> what he's like.  I wish you'd stop calling things I like "demented"
> though!

I asked someone who knew more about art, who said he was a "Dutch Realist,"
not who I thought he was.

The reason I said "demented" was that this particular genre of art often
appears in psychology books, as there is a school of thought among psycholog-
ists that the artists who painted them suffered from some kind of psychosis
(not "some kind of psychosis," I just don't know enough about Psychology to
be guessing what kind it was).  The reason being that, they say, the
symbolism used is also used by current-day psychchotic mental patients.

For a popular example of this, see the book from the Time-Life Books series
on Science (I forget the exact title of the series), called "The Mind".
I have seen some other examples, but I forget the titles of the books.

However, as I said, it turns out Breugel isn't like that...