Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Digeridu and cirular breathing

From: brewster@wisc-crys.arpa (Greg Brewster)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 85 15:23:05 cdt
Subject: Digeridu and cirular breathing

> The breathing technique used to play the digeridu is known as
> "circular breathing" and is used for other instruments as well,
> including the trumpet and the voice.
>
> It /is/ possible (but highly difficult and very controversial),
> and is generally taught only at an advanced stage of musical study.
>
> Val

I played in a band for a while (the baritone horn of all things) and did
not find circular breathing to be that big a deal.  If you can slightly
puff out your cheeks while blowing it is not too tough to continue
to force air out of your mouth with your cheek/mouth muscles while
breathing in through your nose.  It seems like it could become second
nature with a little practice.

  Greg