Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kashka

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 85 04:38:28 edt
Subject: Kashka

I've always thought that Kashka was a female name, but some people have
told me they they "know" it is a male name.  I think that it's actually
irrelevant to the song, though, unless Kashka is definitely a male name.

I spent about three hours a couple weeks back in the library looking for
references to the name Kashka.  I searched through everything from books
on ancient Mesopotamia to Russian poetry.  The only reference to the
name Kashka I could find is the the name of a river in Russia, the
Kashka-Darya river.  The wife of Hamurabi was Kausha (but that's not
Kashka...).  Kaska is a whole race of people.

Other interesting tidbits: "Katherine" means "clean, pure" and "Alan"
means "uncertain".

So, does anyone know anything more about the name "Kashka"?  Is there a
net.culture.iraq?

		"Coz when the alley cats come out
		 You can hear music from Kashka's house"

		 Doug