Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Two Faces of Melody Maker

From: harvard!topaz!harvard!mit-eddie!harvard!topaz!harvard!mit-eddie!harvard!topaz!petsd!peora!jer
Date: Monday, 26 Aug 1985 08:46 EDT
Subject: Re: The Two Faces of Melody Maker

> What was I saying...  Oh yeah, strangely, after the initial wave of bad
> reviews for RUTH, there have been nothing but rave reviews:  Melody
> Maker changed its mind (via changing reviewers) apparently and drooled.

This is not so strange at all.  You have to bear in mind that music critics
are part of the "liberal press".  Obviously, since Kate Bush's album is
selling so well, it wouldn't be good for a reviewer's reputation to continue
to say she's "no good", so they change and say how great she is.  The worst
example of such a reviewer is Dave Marsh of _Rolling_Stone_, who seems to
always write his reviews to directly reflect how successful the sales of
the album he's reviewing have been.  (I generally assume that any person
or group he calls by derogatory terms is worth listening to, at least to
see if they are any good.)

> So, is all this really just a cruel trick they are playing on me.  Right
> after they convince me that the British music press has no redeeming
> value and their opinions are worthless, they turn around and say Kate
> Bush is great?  So what does this mean, if their opinions are worthless?

It means their opinions ARE worthless; they just try to predict the success
of an album, to preserve their jobs.  If their opinions were OPPOSITE
yours, they would be worthwhile, since you could then assume albums they
said bad things about were good, and vice versa.  They are only "worthless"
if they don't give you any information at all.

> Unless you're Helen Fitzgerald!

My impression was that Helen Fitzgerald was just merely jealous because
some male-type person she knew liked Kate Bush a lot.

> Does anyone know who Breugal is?

I thought his name was Breugel... isn't he an artist similar to Hieronymus
Bosch, who drew demented-looking paintings?  If I remember the style
correctly, the melted-face Peter Gabriel album is reminiscent of it (due to
the objects back in the shadows), and the Elton John album with some name
like "Captain Midnight and his Dirt Band" cover is extremely similar to it.
But I may be mistaken...

> So feel free to mail to love-hounds whatever you want to about anything at
> all.

You mean we can talk about Yes in here?  (No, I wouldn't do that...)

Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    "Zbba Cvr!"